Substance abuse is the biggest problems that parents of adolescents have to deal with.
- Group dynamics is one of the key factors that drive adolescents to take up smoking and drinking or to do drugs.
- The tendency to take risk encourages most teens to try smoking or drinking even before they are of legal age.
- What may start as a ‘thrill’, can become a habit if it remains unchecked.
- If there is somebody who smokes or drinks at home, they can become your teen’s role models.
- Poor self-esteem and the need to be ‘cool’ can push adolescents to smoke or drink.
- Easy access to substances like cigarettes, alcohol, drugs, and anabolic steroids may increase the temptation to try illicit substances.
- Keep an eye on your child’s behavior. Look for erratic behavior and change in his or her appetite, sleep patterns, and moods.
- Do not spy on them or accuse them of any wrongdoing. Encourage them to talk and be honest. Tell them what your concerns are and discuss the problem with them.
- If your child is not willing to talk to you, the doctors can ask confidential questions to know if they are abusing any substances. Avoid going as far as a drug test, as that may come across as confrontational and threaten the kid.
- If necessary, get your adolescent the appropriate treatment.
Du you have to handle such problems? Please ask if you can not solve the problems.
Oliver & Kim