The development during adolescence gives rise to new feelings in teenagers.
- Adolescence is the time when teens experience their first kiss, the intimate dance with their ‘boyfriend’ or ‘girlfriend’ and secret make out sessions.
- Without proper guidance, teenagers may become sexually active before they are ready. This could result in unwanted pregnancies. Unwanted pregnancy is the biggest risk that adolescent girls face.
- Unprotected sex can also lead to sexually transmitted diseases like HIV.
- Have ‘the talk’ with your kids as they may already be learning about sexual health and reproduction at school. Your duty as a parent is to ensure that they understand the importance of safe sex.
- The hormonal changes in teenagers may make them act impulsively. Your teen may not like it but it is important that you talk to them about the consequences of unprotected sex and how it can change their life.
- Awareness is the only way to prevent early pregnancies and sexually transmitted infections (STIs) in adolescents.
Do you speak candidly about sexuality with your child? Please tell us in what situation.
Oliver & Kim