This is perhaps the best option if you like your job but hate your commute.
#Contractwork largely involves selling the skills you already possess.
- Consulting is a form of contract work but not the only one. Almost every skill can be sold.
- Marketers can work on a contract basis, as can content writers and graphic designers. This would still enable you to work from home, but you would have a “boss” for a short period of time.
- That said, you would be changing bosses with relative frequency and still be in charge of determining which contracts you were interested in accepting.
Regardless of what path you decide to follow, you have to think through your decision to become your #ownboss before you quit your day job.
- Be sure you know your level of self-discipline. If you are the sort of person who arrives at work at nine but then checks Facebook, drinks coffee, chats with coworkers and does not actually start working until eleven, it may not be a good idea for you to become your own boss.
- You likely lack the self-discipline to buckle down and do the necessary work every day without an external deadline.
- Avoid being an optimist when you consider your level of self-discipline. It is true that you might surprise yourself, but past behavior is the best predictor of future behavior.
- You also have to know how to build your clientele. Regardless of what you are doing, if you do not have customers or clients, you are not making money. Take the time to start building up a client base before you quit your day job.Being your own boss is an attractive idea that requires a great deal of forethought and hard work.Social media and movies make it look easy, but be sure you are realistic when you analyze your self-discipline, monetary needs and plan for building your clientele. Otherwise, you will not be so much self-employed as unemployed.Are you your own boss? How was your way to become it?
- Oliver & Kim